In this article we will talk about licenses in Poland, permits, concessions required to run a firm, and discuss some real cases. Read to the end and you will understand what they are, whether your type of activity fits a certain licensing, what we and our colleagues encountered in 8 years of doing business.
If you just thining whether to open a company in Poland or not, read our article about the features and advantages of opening a Polish company. Perhaps it will help you to make a decision.
As usual, we have prepared two formats – video and article. Choose whichever is more convenient for you.
Concession in Poland, licensed activities
Refers to activities regulated by the state. A type of permit in Poland focused on areas of economic activity included in the state monopoly. The concession is granted for a period of 5 to 50 years and ensures business activities of great importance from the point of view of state interests. Directions:
- cigarette sales;
- protection of persons and property;
- extraction of minerals;
- manufacture, processing, storage, and marketing of fuels and energy;
- transportation of carbon dioxide for underground storage;
- radio and television programs;
- air transportation;
Permits (zezwolenie) and licenses in Poland
A document authorizing a company to conduct certain activities. There are three types of licenses:
- Issued to a legal entity;
- Issued based on context or location;
- Issued to a particular employee of the firm.
There are cases where it is necessary to have all three types of licenses. A good example with catering – there must be a license attached to a specific location and a sanitary book for the employees.
- transportation of passengers;
- sale of alcohol;
- production of pharmaceuticals;
- insurance activities;
- banks or credit organizations;
- transport, construction industries.
Permit in Poland differs from concession in the fact that if the entrepreneur meets all the requirements under the legislation on business licensing – the issuing authority can not refuse. The state benefits from issuing permits, because once you get it, you start working, you hire employees, you pay taxes.
It takes at least two weeks to obtain the permits. Liquor license in Poland, is regulated based on specific locations and those points where it has already been issued. For example, a particular street in Krakow has already issued 2 permits for mild alcoholic beverages and 2 for spirits, and it is possible that your fifth establishment will be refused. The authorities don’t want, as a matter of state policy, to get the population drunk. You plan your activities, you have found a place, a profitable location for the restaurant, and there may be problems with obtaining a liquor license in Poland.
Interesting fact, tested by experience – you can have permits assigned to a legal entity, but the firm with the licenses, associated with a specific location in Poland. For example, it is not possible to have a permit from the Sanitary and Epidemiological Station for a legal entity, each time you change location, you have to make new documents.
But the transport license in Poland and for transportation of passengers, attached to the legal entity and is not related to the location.
If you want to know specifically about your license, text us and we’ll discuss your situation.
Registration in the registry (działalność regulowana)
This also includes the conduct of some areas that require appropriate qualifications. For example:
- Doctor and dentist;
- Nurse and midwife;
- Patent attorney;
In order to start such a business, an entrepreneur must register a firm in Poland in a special register and comply with the requirements imposed by the relevant legislation. For example, lawyers have a unified register, where you can check whether you are operating legally.
The exterior facade of a building is another example of a permissive license. In Poland, as in Europe, they care about the appearance of cities. For example, in the city center, the Starbucks sign is smaller, in a different style, this was approved in advance by the local authorities. For interior remodeling in a room, a commercial property or a house, the same is necessary to obtain a permit.
What are other licenses in Poland?
- Permit for gastronomic activity on the territory of the Republic of Poland (Sanepid).
- Permission to conduct educational activities. For an infobusiness it is not necessary, but if you want to issue a certificate to be quoted, you have to get a permit.
- Licenses for photos, fonts, text, etc. Relevant if you plan to make a website and protect your data. In RP, unlike in Ukraine, you can’t steal someone else’s photo, you can sue for that and even win. Everything has to be licensed, purchased. Accordingly, if they make you a site, always ask where the photos, text, video are from.
- Certification of management systems for international merchandise business (quality management in accordance with ISO 9001) and obtaining a CE certificate. The CE marking (obtained in an EU country) indicates that the product is suitable for use throughout the European Union (except Switzerland).
What goods in Poland require certification:
- baby products, toys;
- medical equipment;
- personal protective equipment;
- construction products;
- telecommunications equipment; radio communications equipment;
- equipment that works under pressure;
- machinery; machinery;
- elevators and lifting equipment;
- gas discharge units.
How much do licenses cost in Poland?
Support services from lawyers usually cost more than lab tests or the cost of permits from the state itself. For example, getting a customs number that allows you to conduct international business costs about 20 zlotys, but a mediator would take 100 zlotys to deal with this issue at all. This is normal practice. We also help to enter the polish market. We write this so that you can understand how it all works.
There are more examples. Let’s discuss the liquor license, because many people are interested in opening an alcohol store in Poland.
Payments for the issuance of a permit for the retail sale of beverages containing alcohol:
- up to 4,5% and beer – 525 zł;
- 4,5% to 18%, except for beer – 525 zł;
- Over 18% – 2100 zł.
It is worth considering – the service itself, help from intermediaries, can cost just as much. The advantages of opening a company by yourself or through intermediaries read in this article.
Checking for hazardous substances (CE) in a product costs about 900 PLN. But legal support can cost twice as much.
It’s up to you to do it yourself or use the help of an intermediary. The process is not as complicated as it seems. And in contrast to the post-Soviet countries, it is a solvable issue. Most of those who have dealt with it, received a transport license in Poland, a permit for employees and even for work (Zezwolenie na prace).
If you are going to do business in the Republic of Poland, consider in advance what permits are needed for your activities.
It is not a difficult process, you do not have to pay bribes (do not even think about it!), it is enough to fulfill the conditions, but it is important to understand that it can take a long time. So if you don’t want to waste time, it would be easier to buy a ready-made firm with already arranged licenses. Submit an application and we will consider your case and find a suitable company so that you can start your licensed business in Poland faster.